East Mount Zion Baptist Church

About

History Of East Mt. Zion

The birth of East Mount Zion began in 1908-1910 in the Wigwam on Cedar Avenue and East 100th Street with visiting Ministers. The early ministers of Frank Avenue Church were Rev. Holly, Rev Hill, Rev. Thompson, Rev. Paige and Rev B. K. Smith. East Mount Zion moved Frank to Cedar Avenue and 103rd Street in 1923 under the leadership of Rev. B. K. Smith. After Rev. B. K. Smith retired and Dr. Ernest Hall became pastor, things changed rapidly. In the second or third year of his pastorate the basement of the church was enlarged. Six rooms on the 103rd Street side, one on the Cedar side and a large assembly room was put under the main auditorium of the church. East Mount Zion moved into its present location at 9990 Euclid Avenue in November, 1955, under the pastorate of the late Rev. William M. Downs. At this time was a membership of 1500 to 2000. The Purchase price of the property was $125,000.00, which was paid off in three years. In 1963 the Parking lot across the street from the church was purchased at a price of $55,000.00, which was paid off in two years. East Mt. Zion is considered by the City of Cleveland a landmark. East Mount Zion was without a shepherd for more than a year. Then God sent us Pastor A. Charles Bowie. Pastor begun working to achieve total unity. He organized the Administrative Council in which all groups and auxiliaries are represented. The Administrative council. Unity of thought and Purpose was evident in the initiation of other new groups:

let's Stand Together

Support Our Activities By a Donation

%d bloggers like this: